General questions

What does Roeland VZW do?

Roeland VZW is a youth service which began in 1971. Our motto is ‘Creative language learning’. We organise French, English and Dutch language camps for children from 7 to 19 years during the summer holidays. We also offer Dutch day camps in Ghent for non-Dutch-speaking newcomers and children with language delays.

Throughout the school year we arrange Dutch and French city visits for schools and French and English theatre projects. We have a French library and we ensure that our volunteers receive the training they need.

Does Roeland organise after-school activities (e.g. On Wednesday afternoons)?

No, that’s not something we do. But take a look at our website if you would like to find a language camp for your child.

Does Roeland offer private lessons?

No, Roeland does not give private lessons. We would advise you to contact your child’s school for information about private lessons.

What languages does Roeland offer?

Roeland organises projects in Dutch, French and English.

When do the Roeland camps take place?

Roeland offers language camps during all school holidays. See our camps page for information about our different camp dates and age groups.

Who accompanies my children on a Roeland course?

At Roeland we always choose cool instructors, so you can be sure of having lots of fun all day long. The supervisors will give you plenty of encouragement to speak French or English. We call this total language immersion. In order to give you as much help as possible, we have a ratio of one supervisor to four students at most of our camps. That’s one of the things that makes Roeland truly unique!


Can I financially support Roeland?

We are always on the lookout for ways to fund our projects for vulnerable children and young people. You can make a donation to our account BE31 4487 5031 0155 using the reference ‘gift maatschappelijk project’. We are not able to offer you a tax certificate for donations.

Can I offer an employee discount to my employees?

As an employer, you can enter into a partnership with us which will allow you to offer your employees a 5% discount on our holiday camps. In return for this discount, we ask you to spread the word about Roeland amongst your employees. If you are interested please contact our Communications Officer, Nathanëlla Monsaert ( for more information.

Are you entitled to an employee discount? Ask your employer for more information about their partnership with Roeland VZW and they can give you the discount code.

Please note: our discounts may not be combined.

Roeland is a national youth organisation. What does that mean exactly?

This means that we have to satisfy a number of quality criteria in order to be recognised and to receive subsidies from the Flemish government.


You can find more info here:


Questions for our volunteers

I would like to become a Roeland volunteer.

That’s great! We are happy to welcome you. Look on our employee page to see how you can apply to become a volunteer.

I am already a Roeland volunteer. How do I register my availability for the coming year?

Log in to your personal page and register your availability. You should also check that all your personal details are still correct.

Are my language skills good enough to be a volunteer on a Roeland camp?

Roeland runs holiday camps of the highest quality, and we expect all our language instructors to have an excellent command of the language spoken on the camp. Hence we test all new language instructors before they come to camp for the first time to make sure they have a good enough knowledge of the language. This test is held either during the training weekend or by means of an interview.

I am a teacher/teacher in training. Can I come along as an language instructor?

We would love to have you on our camps! Teachers usually step into the role of class language teacher, but you could also choose to take on a camp games assistant role. The same language proficiency rules apply to teachers as they do to other volunteers (see previous question).

Do volunteers receive an allowance?

Yes, at Roeland we offer a volunteers’ allowance. The amount you receive depends on the duration of the camp and your role at the camp. For more information, contact our admin team at


Will I receive any training as a volunteer?

Roeland organises training weekends for all new language instructors in the spring. During the training weekend you will learn what is expected of you as a Roeland language instructor.

Roeland organises regular training sessions on various subjects for volunteers and prospective volunteers.


How old do I need to be to become a language instructor?

Our language instructors must be at least 18 years old.

From the age of 16, you can volunteer for a logistical role (kitchen and maintenance staff.)

From the age of 16, you can take part in the Language Instructor for Youth Work course, and the following summer you can join a camp as a trainee language instructor.

Can I work with refugees at Roeland?

Roeland organises Dutch day camps for non-Dutch-speaking newcomers and for children with language delays. Would you like to teach these children Dutch in a fun, playful way? Look at our employee page to see how you can apply.

Who should I contact if I have a question about volunteering for one of your language camps?

  • English language camps: Lieve Haverbeke (
  • Junior French language camps (7-12 year-olds): Jérôme Lecerf (
  • French language camps 12-18 year-olds: Jérôme Lecerf (
  • Dutch language camps: Lieve Haverbeke (
  • Camps for non-Dutch speaking newcomers (NT2): Lieve Haverbeke (
  • Camps Brede School Ghent: Lieve Haverbeke (
  • Queries about logistical roles (e.g. kitchen, maintenance etc.): Ellen De Vos (


Who should I approach if I have a question about volunteering for one of your annual projects?

Artscène Français, Artscene English, City visits:

Can I do an internship at Roeland, either at the camps or at your head office?

Of course! If you would like to do an internship at one of our camps, or are interested in being involved with a particular project, then please contact the project co-ordinator (see previous question). If you have a general query or you would like to do an internship at our head office, please contact our admin team (

Do I need to have a background check to work at Roeland?

Yes. As we work with children and young people at Roeland, we ask all supervisors to provide an “Uittreksel uit het strafregister model 2” (certificate of good behaviour). Ask your local authority for more information.

Language courses: registration

How do I request a brochure?

You can read our brochure online. Would you like to receive a paper brochure? Mail If you order before or during the summer you will receive the current brochure. After the summer you can request the new season’s brochure. It will be available in December.

Which of the camps still have spaces available?

When you search for a camp you will be able to see which camps have availability and which are full.

Can I register by telephone?

No. Please sign up using our website, so that you can fill in all your personal details and upload a photo of your child. If it doesn’t work or you are having trouble, we will be happy to help you -  call us on 09/221 60 44

I can’t log into my profile, what should I do?

If you cannot log in with your email address, then it is likely that you registered under a different email address (e.g. your partner’s email address). Try again using a different email address. If it still doesn’t work, please call us on 09/221 60 44 and we will be happy to help you.

I have forgotten my password.

Click on ‘forgotten password’ and you will automatically be sent an email so that you can re-set your password. Don’t forget to check in your spam folder. If it doesn’t work or you are having trouble you can call us on 09/221 60 44 and we will be happy to help you.

I’m not receiving any emails from you, why is that?

You should be able to see all your personal details on your profile page. Check your details to see if your email address is correct. It’s also possible that our emails have gone into your spam folder, so don’t forget to check there, too. If you are still having trouble, feel free to contact us on 09/221 60 44 and we will be happy to help you.

How does payment work?

As of this year, we will no longer be requesting a deposit. We simply ask you to pay the full sum within 30 days. You can see the details of your invoice at any time on your personal profile. Your registration is not confirmed until we receive payment.

If it is not possible for you to pay the full sum in one go, please contact our admin team to discuss your options.

How do I know if my payment has been received?

You can check the status of your payment at any time on your personal profile. It may take a little while for the status to register as ‘paid’. Make sure you use the official notification when you make the payment. Your registration is not confirmed until we have received your payment.

Can I register my son or daughter’s friend?

From this year onwards, you will only be able to register your own children. It’s best if you talk to the parents of your children’s friends before you register.

What if one of my children’s friends wants to go to the same camp but there are no places left?

Should this happen, we recommend that you book both children onto a different camp (as long as there are enough places left in the right age group). This won’t cost you any extra money. Please contact us by telephone (09/221 60 44) and we will be happy to help you.

I want to cancel the camp I have booked. Will I get my money back?

It depends. You can read our general conditions here.

Can Roeland cancel my registration?

If there are not enough applicants, we may cancel a camp. If this happens, we will help you to find a suitable alternative. If we cannot find an alternative you will receive a full refund.

How does the waiting list work?

If your camp of choice is already full, your child can be placed on the waiting list. Spaces often become available due to cancellations or changes. We cannot guarantee that a place will become available, therefore we recommend that you choose a different camp for your child. You can then cancel this camp free of charge if a place becomes available at your first choice of camp.

If a place becomes available, we will contact you immediately. If your child still wants to attend the camp, then we will arrange for the registration to be transferred.

If you change your mind, you can remove your child from the waiting list at any time on your personal profile page.

Where can I find my documents (medical form, final instructions, ...)?

You will find the documents on your personal profile page. Log in, go to "my dashboard" en select the language course concerned. There you will find all the necessary documents.


Language courses: price and reductions

What’s inlcuded in the price of the camp?

  • Included: accommodation, meals (except on day camps), lesson materials, outings, bus transport, civil liability insurance, accident insurance.
  • Not included: personal purchases (in the bar and during outings).
  • There may be some changes to the programme (i.e. activities and outings). This does not imply a change of price.



How come the bus is included in the price?

We think it’s important that the kids bond well on camp, and that’s why we recommend that the children travel to camp together on the bus. That way the children can get to know their camp-mates and make friends in their own native language. It’s also good for our camp teams if everyone arrives together and they can be ready to welcome them to camp.

If your child is under 12, we still recommend that they travel on the bus. Don’t worry, we always help the kids to make their beds and unpack their suitcases.


Do I receive a discount if I drop off/pick up my child myself?

No, this does not give you any discount. When you register you can indicate whether or not your child will be making use of our bus.


What reductions are possible?

2. Employee reduction: Does your employer have a partnership with us? Then you could be eligible for a staff discount. Contact your employer for more information.

Would your business like to form a partnership with us? If so, please email

4. Study allowance reduction: If you are receiving a study allowance for secondary education this school year then you are eligible for a reduction of 20% of the total amount of your allowance. Does this apply to you? Then send us proof that you are receiving a study allowance via email ( or by post.

5. Discount HR-Rail: add employee number

Please note that our discounts cannot be combined. Make sure you check which discount is most beneficial for you before signing up.

Some (Belgian) employers and health insurance companies will refund part of the cost of the camp after registration. Are you eligible for this? After your camp is over you can download the ‘certificate of participation’ on your profile.

I receive a discount from my employer, how do I add the discount?

When you register, you can add your discount by giving the name of your employer and typing in a code (ask your employer for the code). The discount will then be applied.

I found out after registering that I am eligible for a discount. What should I do?

Send us an email ( and we will reimburse you the appropriate amount.

Please note: Did you forget to ask for your employer’s discount (5%)? Don’t worry! There is no need to contact us – Our discounts cannot be combined.

My child has had to leave camp early. Do I get my money back?

Check here for our general terms and conditions.

Do i get a tax certificate? What is it for? (Belgium)

For children who are under 14 during the camp, we will provide a tax certificate. This can be found on you personal profile after the camp (click on the camp, then choose ‘documents’). It will be available from the month of March (next calendar year).

My health insurance company refunds part of the cost of the camp. What do I have to do to arrange this?

Some (Belgian) health insurance companies will refund part of the cost of the camp after registration. Are you eligible for this? After your camp is over you can download the ‘certificate of participation’ on your profile. Send this to your employer of health insurance company.

Language courses: questions & requests

Can my child share a room with his/her friend?

Room-sharing requests can be specified on the medical form. Some locations have single rooms and others have shared rooms. Girls and boys never share rooms, even if they are brother and sister. You can find out more about room sharing on the camp page

Is it OK for my child to go to camp without a friend?

Of course! There will be plenty of other kids there who have gone without a friend. The kids get to know each other really quickly thanks to our meet-and-greet games. Living and playing together as a group is central to the Roeland experience.

My child has an allergy/special dietary requirements. Can he/she still go to camp?

Of course. Please ensure you state it clearly on the medical form so that we can take good care of your child at camp. If you have any concerns in this regard, please give us a call on 09/221 60 44 and we can put your mind at rest.

My child has special needs (e.g. a disability, a broken bone, etc.). Can my child still come to camp?

At Roeland we try to give every child the chance to come to camp. We will be happy to discuss the possibilities with you. Please contact us on 09/221 60 44 so that we can come up with the best solution together. When it comes to registering, be sure to fill in all the necessary details on the medical form so that we can give your child an unforgettable camp experience!

Can my child go on a camp if he or she is not within the age range for that camp?

This can be possible under certain circumstances. For example, if your child has either been kept back a year or skipped a year at school, he or she may be more suited to a camp with other children from his/her school year. If your child’s birth year does not correspond with the age range of a camp then you will receive a notification when you register and the camp coordinator will contact you to discuss it. You can also contact us yourself on 09/221 60 44 or

My child is 12. Should I pick a junior camp or a camp for 12-14 year olds?

We speak exclusively French or English on our 12+ camps. We expect all the kids to stick to this rule and to speak only French or English while they are at camp. At junior camp, your child will be allowed to speak Dutch with the other kids. Our language instructors will only ever speak the camp’s target language. In other words, a 12+ camp is harder work, but the immersion is deeper.

The most important thing is that your child has a good time and gets to grips with the foreign language. You know your own child best – think carefully about their character, maturity and language skills before you decide. If you’re in any doubt, get in touch with us.


Language courses: practical info before departure

What are the bus stops? (only for camps with overnight stay)

  • All French courses in Wallonia and in Nieuwpoort: Oostakker (Ghent area) and Brussels
  • All French courses in France: Oostakker (Ghent area) (except Stenay: Oostakker and Brussels)
  • All English courses in England: Oostakker (Ghent area) 


  • Dutch in  Flône and Ghent (Nieuwen Bosch): Brussels
  • English in Oostakker and Ghent (Nieuwen Bosch): Brussels
  • English in Kasterlee: Brussels and Ghent
  • English in Ieper: Namen, Brussels and Ghent
  • Christmas course in Virton: Oostakker and Brussels


Approximate departure and arrival times buses?

Departure times

In Namur vary between 7:30 and 8:15 in the morning.

Departure times in Oostakker vary between 7:30 and 10:00,

and those in Brussels between 8:00 and 10:00. 

Arrival times 

In Namur are between 11:30 and 13:45,

in Oostakker between 11:00 and 13:30.

Buses from the UK and from the Fabulous Forest camp in Kasterlee arrive in Oostakker between 16:30 and 18:15. 

Arrival times in Brussels are between 10:15 and 12:15,

except for the bus from the Fabulous Forest camp in Kasterlee which is estimated to arrive around 17:30. 

More specific departure and arrival times per camp will be mentioned in the guidelines for the camp, which will be available several weeks before the camp starts. 

What are the camp addresses? (for those dropping off their kids at camp themselves.)

You will find the addresses of all the camps on the Camp Information pages.

When will I receive more information about the camp?

What should my child take to camp? Where does the bus depart from and when? Practical information about the camp will appear on your personal profile page one month before the start of the camp. You will receive an email informing you when all the details have been posted online.

How much pocket money should I give my child?

Only you, as their parent, can decide this. Pocket money can be used for personal expenditure at the bar (a drink or snack) and during outings. Take the length of the camp into consideration and don’t overdo it. Roeland cannot be held responsible for the theft of personal belongings. We ask you to give your child a combination padlock so that suitcases can be locked.

Language courses: sickness, accident, insurance

What is the medical form for?

You can use the medical form to inform us of any allergies, food intolerances and anything else of importance (adhd, extreme homesickness etc). Fill the form in carefully, so that we can take good care of your child. The information will only be used by the supervisors at the camp which your child is attending. You will find the medical form on your personal profile page. Go to "my dashboard" en select the language course concerned. There you will find all the necessary documents.

Can Roeland issue my child with medication at camp?

We can only issue medication at camp if we have a certificate of permission from you or your doctor. The medication and the form should be given to the bus monitor at the beginning of camp (or to the first aid monitor at camp if you are dropping your child yourself).

What is the “Parental Consent to Medical Intervention” document?

This document is only necessary if your child is going to a camp in France. French law states that there may be no medical intervention on a minor without written parental permission. If there should be any medical intervention necessary during the camp, we would of course contact you beforehand to ask for your permission. However, we do also require written proof of your permission, therefore we require that you sign this document beforehand. We will make this document available to you on your personal profile page one month before the start of camp. You will also receive an email from us requesting that you fill the document in.

Is my child insured at camp?

Your child is insured for accidents and civil liability. However, Roeland cannot be held responsible for theft, damage or loss of personal belongings. If you have any questions regarding insurance (e.g. broken glasses, reimbursement of medical bills etc.) please contact our logistics coordinator, Sil Poppe (

What happens if my child gets ill or has an accident at camp?

We have a first aid monitor at every camp, who will be able to care for your child. We do not take any risks and if we are in any doubt we always contact the doctor or hospital immediately. In an emergency, the camp supervisor will get in touch with you straight away. Please also refer to the previous question.

What happens if my child needs to see a doctor at camp?

In cases of illness, you will be responsible for any doctor’s bills or medical costs. If necessary, the camp supervisor will cover the costs on a temporary basis. The child’s parents will then receive a letter requesting repayment. You will also receive a doctor’s note for your health insurance provider. We are insured against accidents. Please also refer to the previous question.

My child has had to leave camp early due to illness. Will I get my money back?

Language courses: schedule/organization

What is the schedule on camps without overnight stays?

We welcome the children from 8:30 onwards and the activities start at 9:30. During the day, there are several cool workshops in which the children learn the language in a playful way. We always make sure it is lots of fun so that they will hardly notice that it is all in a foreign language. We sing together, do arts and crafts, play games, sports activities, … There is also one fun outing during the camp. The activities stop at 4:30; pick-up is possible until 5:30.

What is the schedule on camps with overnight stays (Junior, 7-12 years)?

  • Cool workshops. Working in small groups of various levels you will deal with different themes’. We always make sure it is lots of fun so that they will hardly notice that it is all in a foreign language.
  • Singing sessions (a great way to learn a new language!).
  • Creative workshops: arts and crafts, making a movie, cooking etc.
  • Afternoon activities (games) and sports.
  • A fun outing.

The children are allowed to speak their mother tongue (see also ‘rules’

What does a day on a residential camp for teens look like? (Ages 12-19)

This will depend on the location, the duration of the camp and the theme: the daily schedule differs from camp to camp. The following activities are usually included: cool language workshops (lessons) throughout the day, a sports session, workshops in small groups (of choice), a big game, a city game or other activities, a singing session, free time (bar, shower, siesta), one excursion per week. During camps for older teenagers (15+) they have a say in the programme too. See also next questions about making groups and the language workshops. 

How do you decide who goes into which group at camp?

There is a short test to decide how the groups should be arranged (see following question). Therefore, it is possible that your child may not be put in the same group as his/her friend. We do this to ensure that each child is placed in a group which is the right level for him/her. All other activities take place with the whole group or in small groups which the children can choose themselves (e.g. for sports, creative workshops and excursions).

Are there lessons on camp?

We call them ‘language workshops’. These active workshops allow you to put all the vocabulary and grammar that you have learned at school into practise. We use videos and online resources as well as doing lots of group work and we always make sure the tasks we set you are fun. That way you improve your French or English, but it doesn’t feel like hard work. Of course, now and again there will be a bit of grammar, just to make sure you’ve got all the basics in place.

Will my child have to do a test at camp?

We do give the kids a short test at the start of most 12+ age group camps, so that we can put the kids into the correct groups for language workshops (see above). This way your child can learn at the right level. There is no need for your child to prepare for this test, we are simply checking your child’s knowledge of the language he/she is aiming to learn.

Language courses: arrangements

Is my child allowed to speak its mother tongue at the Junior camp (for 7-12 years-olds)?

Yes, it is allowed to speak its mother tongue with the other kids. Our language instructors/assistants only speak the language of the camp, but, as you will see, it all works out! To help you out, there is a daily ‘language break’, a moment when the camp leader will give you some explanation in your own language so that you know exactly what’s going on.

Is my child allowed to speak its mother tongue at the camp (for 12-19 years-olds)?

No, everyone (staff and participants) exclusively speak the language of the camp. Don’t worry, we make sure we explain everything really clearly so that you understand us.

Can my child be sent home?

If your child is older than 12, we expect him/her to speak exclusively the target language at camp. Our professional teams will go out of their way to help your child with this. If all attempts to encourage this are unsuccessful – or if your child is disruptive or in cases of vandalism – your child may be sent home. However, we do not expect this to be necessary.

Can I phone my child at camp?

It is not possible to phone your child at camp, as this can cause children to feel homesick. If you have an urgent enquiry, you may contact the camp supervisors. You will find the contact details with the final camp information, which you can download onto your personal profile page one month before the camp begins.

Is my child allowed to take its mobile phone? (camps or 7-12 years-olds)

No, we request that the children leave their mobile phone at home. Not everyone in this age group has a mobile phone, so we think it’s fairer this way. If your child is ill or feels homesick, the camp leader will contact you.

Is my child allowed to take its mobile phone? (camps or 12-19 years-olds)

Yes, we allow them to bring their phone to camp. However, there are a few conditions. Participants are not allowed to have their phone in their pocket the whole day (even for taking photos) and they may not make phone calls (because then they will be speaking in their native language). We will make sure there are regular times when the participants are permitted to use their phone to send messages home. Parents are also updated on the camp activities via our blog and photos on our website.

Can I visit my child at camp?

No. A visit from parents would disrupt the camp atmosphere as well as going against our ‘total immersion’ principle. We ask you to respect this rule. From this year onwards, we will be encouraging everyone to make use of the communal bus to travel to and from camp; this means we will no longer be having a show at the end of residential junior camps.

I my child allowed to smoke at the camp?

We have a strict no-smoking policy on camp, regardless of parents’ permission. Of course alchohol and drugs are also prohibited.

Can my child arrive later or leave camp early?

We strongly advise against this. The group atmosphere is central to the Roeland experience, and if a child is not present for the entire camp it is disappointing for the group and of course for the child in question. If it really cannot be avoided then you can get in touch with our secretary to discuss the options.

Language courses: communication during the camp

How can i communicate with my child during the course?

You can communicate in various ways (preferably in the language of the camp):

  • Mail. The email address can be found on the final instructions (see personal profile). The team will print them and give them to your child. Don’t forget to mention your child’s name. The children cannot send emails themselves.
  • Letter. The camp address can be found on the final instructions (see personal profile). The team will give them to your child. The children can also send letters or postcards to their parents.
  • Sms (only 12+ course). We will make sure there are regular times when the participants are permitted to use their phone to send messages home (see also the ‘rules’ section).


Where can I find the pictures and blog?

You will find the photos and blog on your personal profile page. Log in on our website, go to "my dashboard" en select the language course concerned. There you will find all the photos and blog. The camp leaders will make sure that pictures and blog are regularly updated.

What should I do if I receive unhappy text messages from my child?

Some children do feel a little homesick at the start of camp, and others find it hard to adjust to our total language immersion policy, and they might well send their parents a rather unhappy text message. We would advise you not to panic, and to encourage your child to take a bit more time to get used to the new environment. Most children adjust quite quickly. If you are still worried, give the camp supervisor a call. And of course, if there is any kind of emergency, they will not hesitate to contact you.

Will my child be photographed at camp?

Yes. You will be able to see photos and blog posts on your personal profile page. The teams make sure that there are regular new photo and blog updates, so that parents can see what the kids have been up to. The photos will be visible on the website for one year. The photos may also be used on our website, in our brochure and on social media to promote our camps.

By agreeing to our general terms and conditions you are giving Roeland permission to take and publish photographs and other visual images unless you send us a written request not to do so. You have the right to access and change your personal information at any time. Please do not hesitate to contact us by telephone or email if there is a particular image you do not want us to show or use.

Language courses: after the camp

What if my child loses something or leaves something behind at camp?

  • Send an email to with a description of the item/clothing, your child’s name and the which camp he/she was attending.
  • Any lost items we find are brought to our head office in Ghent. They can be collected from there on weekdays between 9am and 5pm. Let us know if you’re coming to pick something up and we will make sure we have the item/clothing ready for you.

Do I get a tax certificate? What is it for? (Belgium)

For children who are under 14 during the camp, we will provide a tax certificate. This can be found on you personal profile after the camp (click on the camp, then choose ‘documents’). It will be available from the month of March (next calendar year).

Do I get a certificate of participation? What is it for? (Belgium)

Some (Belgian) employers and health insurance companies will refund part of the cost of the camp after registration. For this you need a ‘certificate of participation’. Are you eligible for this? After your camp is over you can download the document on your profile. (click on the camp, then choose ‘documents’).

I have some suggestions for improvements. How can I contact you?

At Roeland we are always keen to receive feedback from participants and their parents. Participants on our 12+ age group camps fill in an online questionnaire at camp, and participants in our junior camps can fill in an online questionnaire with their parents when they get home. Parents who have feedback for us (compliments or points for improvement) can email us at